Monday, August 20, 2007

surgery update

We arrived at Northwest Medical Center in Springdale a little after 5:30am and got Karen admitted. By 7am we were in a room awaiting the surgery to begin. We had a short prayer session with 2 of Central's Stephen Ministers. After this Dr. Cross came in and we had a short prayer with him too. They soon administered the first of her anesthetics and we rolled down the hall. We bid a tearful farewell (at least I was crying, she was kind of loopy) and she went into surgery as I went to the waiting room at 7:23am.

Karen's parents arrived around 8am and about 9:30 Dr. Cross came out and said his part of the surgery was complete and everything went well. Dr. Atwood was walking into the OR as Dr. Cross finished. They will now take the breast tissue and send it to the lab to check for any further sign of cancer (we should know more by Thursday). If there is none, they will test the initial biopsy for to see if it is hormone receptor positive or negative. We expect it to be negative which is the same as her mother's and her sister's. This will dictate more options as we progress through treatment in the coming months.

The surgery team has been really good about coming out and giving updates and the quality of customer service we have experienced thus far at Northwest has been very good. Hopefully within a few hours (by 3 or 4pm) Dr. Atwood will finish and Karen will go into the recovery room. Due to the length of this surgery she may stay in ICU tonight or she may be moved to a regular room on the floor.

I appreciate all of the encouraging emails and SMS messages that I have received and I was able to pass many of them on to Karen before she went into surgery. Continue to pray for Karen, the doctors and for Kim and her family.

Daniel Blasingame

5 comments:

Alicia said...

You are all being lifted in prayer - I've talked to so many people today already who just love you all so much and are prepared to help in any way needed. Hope you all are hungry! Food will start Wednesday. I can't wait to hear more, but am so glad that things are going well so far. The Lord is with you all, I have no doubt. Just talked to Kori and the kids are great. Love, Alicia

Alesa L said...

Brother, I am waiting to hear Karen is out of ICU and in a room. I have been praying (just as many others have) and trust that God is in control. I love you both and will see you this weekend. Alesa

Tebo said...

Daniel,
I am a Chi Omega sister of Kim's. I was so thankful to discover Karen's blog. What an amazing family. Please know my family prays for yours daily. Karen will do great. There are so many people who care and pray for you all. Keep us posted.
Janis Thibault

Janice (YaYa) said...

Prayers from around the world are with you as you go through this difficult time in your lives. Stay strong! Love, Janice(YaYa)

Katie said...

you are all in my thoughts and my prayers. You have been on my mind and in my heart since I have heard the news. Your faith and love is a inspiration to me and wish so much I was there to help you in some way. I will keep praying. Please keep us posted.