Tuesday, August 21, 2007

day 2 mid-day

Dr. Atwood's nurse, Candy, came by this morning after breakfast to check on Karen and everything with the surgery continues to look good. She was great to talk with and answer questions and generally made Karen feel good about her progression. Dr. Atwood is planning a visit late afternoon or early evening.

Soon after Candy left Karen was able to get out of bed and go to the bathroom which is really great (it is the small things that are important!). She was able to sit up in the chair for a while so they could change her bedding and her gown which she had been in since surgery. They have also been able to take her off the oxygen and she is doing hourly breathing exercises. She was able to call Kim and have a short conversation with her and I went down to the cafeteria to get Karen a cup of coffee.

After she got back in bed and rested for a while she decided to get up again and before getting back in bed, Karen suggested that she go for a stroll to satisfy one of her prescribed walks. The nurse and I were able to wrap her robe around her, stick her drains in her pockets and guide her on a walking tour of the floor with IV in tow. She really enjoyed getting out of the room. After the stroll we had a great visit and prayer with another of our Central United Methodist Stephens' ministers. Karen is herself involved in this ministry and greatly appreciates being on the receiving end of the support through this ministry at our church.

Special prayer request:


Rev. Victor and Mary Green (Karen's Parents) have been great taking our kids to their pre-school activities and helping me in many ways. They are very dear people. I want to ask for special prayer for them: with Kim and Karen both sick I cannot imagine how hard it is as a parent to have your children in pain and struck with a vicious illness such as cancer. They are very, very strong people and strong Christians but I can see that these episodes with Kim and Karen have really shaken them. Please remember to pray for them as you pray for Kim and Karen.

I look forward to the day that I get out of posting updates and Karen is the one taking over the helm of updating everyone on her phenomenal progress.

Daniel Blasingame

8 comments:

BENZO said...

Hi Karen! We are all praying for your dear family every chance we get. I love being able to get updates from your blog during the day and we know that your wonderful attitude will only speed your recovery along even faster. Please let us know of anything you need from me or the girls! They all send hugs.

Annie said...

Daniel, Thanks again for the update. So glad the night was OK, and Karen's day is off to a good start. Give her hand a squeeze for me. Love and prayers to you both and your families.
Annie

Amy Bushaw said...

Hey there Karen and Daniel,
Know that Owen and I are thinking about you guys. Its good to hear everything is going well. I look forward to the day that we can all get together and just hang out.
If Ever you guys need anything....please call. Thanks the blog page and keep the updates coming.
We love you guys.
Amy Bushaw

West LR adult said...

Karen and Daniel,

What? I get around to catching up with my email and get the news of Karen's CA, followed by the sucessful surgery! I can tell you we were sad, angry, happy, and hopeful...all at the same time. Reading your posts was like reading a drama -- real life.

Karen, we are so sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but at the same time very much like your plan of attack. We know you will do well, "mind the doctor", and come through like a trooper. Although, sometimes nurses make the worst patients :-)

Daniel, Thanks for keeping us up to date. There is nothing more fearful at a time like this than lack of knowledge. We really appreciate your efforts to keep us all informed.

It goes without saying that we love you both and trust you will continue to keep us on your long list of friends. Louann and I want you to know that we are thinking about you and your kids, and you know we are here for you...for anything we can do.

So, Karen get well soon -- so you can come down for a little R and R in the Rock.

Gary and Louann Souheaver

Alesa L said...

Aiden is standing here as I read the update and wants his Aunt Karen to get better soon. We all send our love and prayers and count the days until we get to F'ville to see you.

Paige & Robert said...

We are so glad today was a good day. I bet you look great strolling down those halls in your hospital attire!!! I woke up several times in the night and prayed for you guys--I know you have a lot of pain, but it really sounds like you are doing well. I'll check on you tomorrow--Paige

mtaylo5 said...

Karen,
I was happy to hear that you were able to get up today. I wish I could take part of your pain--both in your body and your heart. Your strength is amazing.

Hopefully you were served something other than lime jello for dinner. If you need a steak slipped in there, please let me know.

Many prayers for your sweet momma and daddy. I wish for you all a miracle and peaceful sleep tonight.
Love, Melanie

Elisabeth said...

Daniel, what an amazing and supportive husband you are! This blog is so great for all of us who are thinking of karen around the clock. Please pass on our encouragement for her to heal quickly and get home soon. Chris and I are happy to help in any way at any time.
Elisabeth