Sunday, August 19, 2007

getting started




For simplicity of updating our friends and loved ones I set up this blog to post updates on Karen's progress as she goes through the process of treatment for breast cancer. In the tradition of Karen's sister, Kim Mcnabb (Kim's Prayer), we will try to update as possible.

We are truly blessed today

Through God's grace and a Citation II, Kim, Mark, Oliver, Jackson, Lehman and Mary Claire McNabb were able to fly over from Jonesboro this morning to visit with us and go to church before Karen's surgery tomorrow. Kim and family are in GREAT spirits and we continue to pray but frankly her health prognosis is not good. The physicians say her time here with us is short: 2 weeks to 2 months. We are enjoying the time we have together and praying for peace and for acceptance of what God has in store for Kim.



I take Karen in the morning at 5:30am for her surgery. She has a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction scheduled that will last about 8 hours in total so tomorrow will be a really long day. The surgeries will be performed by Dr. Michael Cross and Dr. Daniel Atwood at Northwest Health. Our 3 kids are spending the night with good friends so Karen can get some rest tonight and we can get an early start tomorrow. We will probably be in the hospital through at leastWednesday and possibly Thursday. Please pray for Karen and our family.

The good news from 2 weeks ago is that Karen's lymph nodes showed no sign of cancer. However Karen, Kim and their mother Mary Green are all BRCA Positive . When we get through with the breast surgery and the oophorectomy+hysterectomy there will be no need for chemo or radiation thanks to the negative lymph node lab results.

Thanks for your continued prayers and support,
Daniel Blasingame

13 comments:

mtaylo5 said...

Thanks for setting up the blog Daniel. I am so glad to hear that Karen and Kim were able to spend some time together today. Sometimes there's nothing better than seeing your sister. I'm just sorry Kim's news isn't good.

I love you both and will see you this weekend.
Love, Melanie

Erika said...

I have been thinking about you today. I am so pleased that I received Daniel's e-mail. I just wanted you to know that I love you and will be praying for you tomorrow. And that I am happy that you were able to spend time with Kim today.

I hope to see you soon.
Love, Erika

Alicia said...

Steve & I love you guys and will be praying tomorrow that the Lord will bless you with a very successful surgery and the fastest recovery known to man! :-) As Kim would say....let's pray BIG. It was wonderful to see Mark and the boys today at church and incredibly moving to sing "Kim's Song" in worship not once but twice! I love to see Him at work and He certainly was today. I had goose bumps. I was very thankful to know you all were getting together as a family today and I hope you had a fantastic day together. I'm going to stalk your blog....so update soon! :-)
Lots of Love,
Alicia

dottie said...

Hi Karen,
I hope you received my voice mail last week. I just want you to know that I love you and your dear family. Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress and we will be thinking about you every step of the way. You are in my prayers.
Love to all,
Dottie

Megan Ellington said...

Daniel this is an awesome blog. I wish I would have went to church today. Alicia has kept me very informed about Karen and you. I have kept you and your family in my prayers. If you need any help at all with the kids on Wednesday or Friday please give me a call. You are such a strong family. I continue praying for you and yours.
In God's Grip,
Megan Ellington

Jim Riffel said...

We all love you Karen and my family and I will be praying for you. You have such a strong support group. I am praying for a quick recovery and hope to see your big smile soon.

Love,
Jim Riffel

Wheat said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news, Daniel. Thanks for setting up this blog so we can all focus our thoughts on Karen's recovery. We love you guys.

Grace K. said...

Deuteronomy 31:6 (KJV)
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

1 Corinthians 16:13 (NIV)
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

Karen I'm in continued prayer for your faith, courage, and strength in the Lord. I KNOW you are the victor in this battle, and that this is just another testimony in the works.

XOXOXO,
Grace K. Croseford

Paige & Robert said...

Karen & Daniel,
I started praying for you at 6:30 this morning. I know that you are undergoing your surgery right now as I type and what an amazing thing to know so many people are lifting you and your surgeons up in prayer. You are in fantastic hands, both on Earth and in Heaven. Your faith and your family's faith is so amazing and encouraging to me. We love you, Paige & Robert

Shay Olson said...

Daniel,
Thank you for the update. Thank you for the blog. It has been a gift. I send much love to Karen and to Kim. I am so thankful for the time that they had together yesterday! I'll be checking the blog frequently.
Love, Shay

Gerri/Mom/Grammy said...

Dear Daniel and Karen,
I was SOO sad and sorry to hear your news of having cancer. And then after reading your emails I was the one comforted!! Thank you for your openess and willingness to share your journey with us. We want you to know that we are praying for you and will put you on our church's prayer list. PLEASE let us know how we can help in the following days and weeks ahead.
Grateful for His peace, healing and grace upon you, Gerri and Randy Shankle

Courtney Smith said...

Daniel, thanks for the update and for setting this website up. You have been in our thoughts and prayers today-we love you guys and know in our hearts that you will have a successful surgery and recovery and that all of the procedures yet to come will be successful! You both are two of the strongest people I know, and you will get through this!

We will see you soon -
Love, Courtney and Jim

Becky O'Donnell said...

Hi Karen. I just found out about yours and Kim's illness and my family and I are praying for both you and your families. I remember you as being such a strong person in highschool and I'm sure that has moved over into adulthood. We will continue praying for you.

Love, Becky O'Donnell (Gipson)